In 1953 Mac & Barbara McCluskey relocated to Riverside from Los Angeles. In Riverside they opened a childrens clothing store, "Peter Pan Shop" in the Hardman Center. In 1958 they moved the business to the Riverside Plaza and in the spring of 1959 it sold.
Mac & Barb then opened the "Beachcombers Club". They offered after school events, swimming and diving classes plus volleyball and social events for adults and children. 1963 they sold the business and in 1967 bought the "Nelson Street Market". renovated it into the "Backstreet Restaurant". The Backstreet made the best Pastrami and Corned Beef Sandwiches on the West Coast. The potato salad is the best you've ever had. The banana creme pie is world famous. We have been voted the Best Lunch Place, Best Outdoor Dining, Best Kept Secret, Best Power Lunch, Best Garden Lunch Place. The Inland Empire Magazine Voted us the Best Sandwiches and Best Outdoor Dining in the Inland Empire the last two years.
In 2000 Mac & Barb were ready to retire. They sold the business to there youngest daughter Kitty and her husband Keith Holloway.
Keith and Kitty continue to cook and slice all the meat fresh every day, have kept everything the same as Mom & Dad had started it. They have however, added the tuna sandwich as well as two salads. The Caesar has pistachios and the spinach salad has craisins, pistachios and shaved parmesan cheese with raspberry vinaigrette.